Yeah, the book will be this large
- Source control management. Aside from writing code, your candidate should be able to store it and switch between code’s earlier and later versions if necessary. You have to make sure that your candidate is capable of working with Git, Mercurial, SVN, or any similar source control systems.
- Having basic testing debugging skills. You may think that testing isn’t what a JS developer has to do, since quality assurance engineers are responsible for that. Your statement certainly holds true, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that a software developer shouldn’t be able to review their own code and make corrections.
- Knowledge of Web Performance Optimization (WPO). WPO is necessary for fixing website problems related to loading speed, so your JS developer must be able to deal with such kind of issues.
- Being no stranger to encryption and cryptography. Your web product surely involves sensitive information, and software developers have to to ensure impeccable security. Understanding encryption algorithms, user authentication process and cryptography techniques are an absolute must for your candidate.
A reaction to a web app done by JS developer with poor design skills
Locations and hourly rates
Nevertheless, working with Indian software engineers can be a challenge, once a cultural gap with Western companies is big enough to create various misunderstandings, while English proficiency of Indian developers leaves much to be desired. In addition, the time zone difference is another problem that will prevent you from effective communication and timely updates on your project.
You’re obviously aware that Ukraine is facing military aggression by russia. The war does affect the Ukrainian IT sector, but the majority of companies manage to operate at full scale and even create a government-controlled IT army that takes action towards defending Ukraine in cyberspace.
Besides, local tech businesses support humanitarian aid missions while many IT workers volunteer to provide material support to civilians and the Armed Forces. Ukrainian IT companies successfully relocated to safe regions of the country and opened offices in various countries across Europe to arrange their work in the same way they did before the massive invasion of russian troops.
Moreover, your collaboration with Ukrainian IT business means a serious contribution to the local economy that requires support at the moment. Stand with Ukraine to defend the whole civilized democratic world.
Freelancer, in-house, or outsourcing?
You don’t want to hazard a guess by picking up a stranger who won’t be that devoted to your project. To keep your project’s success at bay, shun freelancers and go for hiring one only when you have some small job to do.
When hiring a freelancer or in-house JS developer are both enough of a mixed bag, outsourcing can be your go-to solution.
You’ll be able to manage an outsourced software engineer as if they’re your in-house employee. Needless to say, there is no chance you can keep your JS developer in the line of sight, which is why some risk of miscommunication is present.
Anyway, the majority of respected IT vendors assemble remote teams that are motivated, enthusiastic, and diligent enough to focus on projects rather than refreshing news feeds in their social media during the working hours.
Make sure you hire a skilled and trustworthy person
We also strongly recommend you pay attention to so-called job jumpers: candidates that switch companies way too often (something like every 6-9 months). There is a high probability that this person will be hard to deal with even though you manage to retain them for working on your project.
As soon as we have resumes of potentially relevant candidates in front of us, our recruiters run soft skills interviews with each candidate. Typically, we talk with candidates about the following issues:
- English proficiency. Our recruiters switch to the English language and start talking to a candidate. JatApp works with clients all over the world, and being fluent in English is a must for our employees.
- Motivation. That is an essential component you should look for amongst your candidates. We strongly believe that a motivation to create a product rather than write hundreds of pages of code is a hallmark of a professional tech expert who is passionate enough to focus on the end result.
- Reasons for leaving previous company. This tricky question has several purposes. First, you make sure that your candidate isn’t a nasty piece of work once again. Second, you reveal the needs and motivations of your candidate to be able to address them and keep this employee retained with your company.
- Examples of code written by the candidate. Talking about experience and skills is an essential part of the hiring process, but you need to also see what your candidate has already accomplished to prove their qualification.
And then, we arrange a hard skills interview, where our team leads ask such questions as:
- What do var, let, and const do?
- How would you create an incremental variable in the general scope?
- Explain how arrow and bind functions are used?
- Describe the process of getting an argument with a bind function.
- Create an algorithm that accepts an input text massive and delivers output massives with unique elements that are allocated according to a particular characteristic (for example, it can be a text massive with different fruits that a candidate should make sort according to their size).
- How do you write a function that accepts a massive of different numbers and brings back each number multiplied by two.
- How do you write a sum function?
- How do you write a basic calculate function?
- How does CORS work?
- What is HTTP request with Options type?
- What is CDN?
Run your web development project with JatApp
If you run a project, but you don’t have a tech team to start development, JatApp can provide you with a dedicated team. Our people will focus solely on your project and you’ll be able to manage them as your own team.
And of course, you can outsource the whole project to JatApp. Our project managers will care for every aspect of your project while you’ll get timely updates on its progress.